Lula da Silva will return to Brazil’s presidency in stunning comeback victory on Sunday.
Lula da Silva returns after two long years in jail
Jailed former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva will be a favourite to win Brazil’s presidential election on Sunday.
A poll by state broadcaster TV Globo on Friday showed Lula winning between 50 and 75 percent, with the remaining 25 percent divided among other candidates.
The poll was conducted between 15 and 20 August, just months before the final stage of the election campaign.
Lula will need to win at least 50 percent of the vote to avoid a second round with Fernando Haddad, who he is expected to lose to in the first round.
Lula, who is in the hospital in Rio de Janeiro for a treatment of liver cancer, will seek a second, four-year term as president.
Lula has been in jail since December.
His only previous political activity was campaigning in the run-up to this year’s presidential election, but he did not stand in the vote.
He has repeatedly denied election fraud or vote-rigging allegations, saying he was the victim of a “coup.”
This content is published for free in the New Eastern Outlook magazine of the Middle East and Africa and is copyrighted by the New Eastern Outlook magazine.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the website. The contents of this article may be linked to in a derisive manner and without charge, if the copyright and author’s ownership of the article have been fulfilled.
Read more from New Eastern Outlook and Middle East watchers in our online magazine
‘It’s in the blood’: Lula to voters
Lula, the man who returned to Brazil a victor on September 14, has returned back to earth as the ‘undefeated’
Lula, who will return to Brazil on the ballot box this Sunday following a long imprisonment, is to appear for his first public interview since his return to the spotlight.
Lula, who will return to Brazil on the ballot box on Sunday following a long imprisonment, is to appear for his first